Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Your turn, Mommy

Right now, I'm a favorite playmate. Not *the* favorite, but definitely in the top 5- for both of my kids. I'm very often asked to play trains, or cars, to paint or draw, and always to read books before bed. Also, though my singing is sometimes unwelcome, I am often asked to sing favorites-- right now it's "I've been working on the railroad," particularly, "Sing someone's in the kitchen!"
Outside, it's often- "Your turn. You roll, Mommy," and I obligingly roll on the grass. We can roll together, and my 6 month old is left to watch us confusedly. I'm asked to "swing" him by holding him under his arm pits. When asked to draw chalk pictures and letters or numbers, I'm happy to help. I am asked to ride bikes, too, but right now it's hard because I most often am carrying the 6 month old and we can't both fit. But I am helpful when it comes to taking worms carefully out of the dirt, and often asked to rescue bugs. We fill up buckets with water and pour it over the flowers or onto the driveway. We put leaves on the tiny rivers and watch them float away.
My 6 month old is also in love. All I have to do to get him to smile is smile myself. Or laugh, or tickle him under his chin. If I sing, he's ecstatic. I'm forever being groped- my hair is grabbed so that he can pull us more closely together and my cheeks and chin are used for teething. He yells and squeals to get me to look at him and he'd love to stay all day on my lap (and often nearly does).
I know that someday- hopefully not too soon- I will no longer be the preferred companion. I'll be *mom* and hopefully will fulfill other roles in their lives. During the days that feel like everyone constantly needs me, I have to remember that this, too, will pass.

5 comments:

Isabella Kantek said...

What a beautiful post, Sarah! Truly touching.

But also, it reminded me of the times I don't feel like playing house, painting or drawing and just want to be left alone. I guess this is just a (blue) phase that we all face. Is there such a thing as "terrible twos" for moms? =P

Well, hope to see you all soon.

Kari. said...

Lovely post! I really enjoy playing with my boys. I also know that this time will pass. And every time I realize that, I can't help but feel a "twitch" in my stomach and the back of my throat (sp).

Monica said...

The other day I was reading a little poem that I got for mother’s day from Lucas with a set of handprint

“Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprint
On furniture and walls.

But every day I am growing
I’ll be grown some day
An all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here’s a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.”

As you can imagine I was crying like crazy and realizing that he is really growing up everyday.
You are right Sarah, “I know that someday- hopefully not too soon- I will no longer be the preferred companion. I'll be *mom* and hopefully will fulfill other roles in their lives. During the days that feel like everyone constantly needs me, I have to remember that this, too, will pass.”
So let’s enjoy it!!!

MSoto said...

All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop. Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles – someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations. Loved ones who will pass to the next generation their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams.

-- General Colin L. Powell
Founder, America’s Promise – the Alliance for Youth.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love being Alex's "favorite." It's tiresome, but I know I'll be crushed when his love affair with me is over and he moves on to his dad.

The relationship between mother and child is so special. It is a bond that cannot be shared by anyone else.

Isabella, I know what you mean about wanting to be alone. There are times I don't feel like molding play dough, or drawing, or lining up cars. :)