Saturday, October 6, 2007

I love my boys

Ok, I only have one son and I am pregnant with a girl. So who are my boys?

They include my son and his gang. I joined this mom's group when my son was only a few weeks old and went to my first meetup when Samuel was 7 weeks old. I was such a geek. I went with a notebook and wrote down everything everyone recommended: an indoor playcenter called bumbolee's, swim lessons at the Y, well it was a short list, there was not much around Astoria. I took notes on who I met- I'm horrible with names and I didn't want to forget the names- I needed friends desperately. Who would figure that these women would be such an inportant part of my life now?

What I never imagined from that first meetup was that my son would learn his first social lessons, from the babies I met at these first meetups. My son is growing up with his set of buddies. He asks for them by name. "Mami I want to see my amigos" and he goes on to list the names of those he wants to see today. When we leave playgroups he leaves crying like he's some poor neglected child who never gets to play with friends.

These buddies I have seen since they were babes. As moms we've all shared in crying through the night, rolling over, crawling, walking, running, holy shit he won't stop running, and the lovely "dude can you leave my breasts alone already"? Now these little guys are making their own friendships and rules. They laugh, tease, hit, ok sometimes bite, hug, and love each other. When I see them together it is mayhem and complete joy. My eyes light up at not just seeing my son, but at seeing his friends. I am so proud of all these kids and their accomplishments together. Look at how strong so and so is. Look how far so and so is climbing. I can't believe how clever your son is to say that. Wow I can't believe how much energy so and so has. Dude your son is so gorgeous...

I really feel like bragging about all these kids like they were my own. So even if I never have another son, ladies thanks for making me feel like I have several.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

awww, M., how sweet! i love the amigos, too. how can you not? and i love it when Ben says, "Ok, Mommy, we go to museum with S. in the blue car," and yesterday I was told, "I want to go to the sprinklers. I play with my friends and M give me more cookies."

Kari. said...

Thanks M.!!! You can borrow my boys, whenever you want! This guys had a blast at the playground the other day and that, may be hard to top. We should totally do the "costume" thing next year. That's gonna be awesome!
I feel really blessed that we "found" you guys. Thank you.

Monica said...

Thank you Margarita for the great post.
That's so true!!! They are all so different and young but with a very strong sense of friendship.
“I really feel like bragging about all these kids like they were my own. So even if I never have another son, ladies thanks for making me feel like I have several.”
I just love it!!!

Karen said...

I'm always joking that Henry has a better social life than I do, but the truth is, I have great friends because of Henry and he has an awesome bunch of friends that I've had a blast watching grow from babies to toddlers to 'big' little boys.

Unknown said...

Hey Margarita, I am a stay at home mom from Astoria and I just wanted to spread the word of an amazing event that is going to take place on March 1, 2008 in the Steinway Reformed Church. It is a work from home opportunity event for moms that are looking for legitimate ways to make money and stay home with there babies. We will have many moms that all work from home and make great money doing it and some momprenaurs that started there own companies. This event is to inspire all moms that want to empower themselves. Can you help by letting every mom you know. If you would like more information please feel free to email me at slumberpartiesbyjenny@gmail.com.