Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What are you gonna be?

So my dear son is really happy and exited about starting pre-k this week. You know his father is a teacher so for him going to school is like having a "real job". A few weeks ago he asked me if he was gonna get paid to go to pre-k.

This afternoon our conversation went as follows:
-Am I going to teach to the other kids? No honey, you are going to be a student.
-Is my Dad a student sometimes? I said yes, when he goes to Pace he is (he is working on his masters).
-Am I going to be a teacher when I grow up? --You can be whatever you want honey, a teacher, a doctor, an engineer, an artist...
-What about a race car driver or a MUFFIN MAKER!!-- You can also be that, honey...
(Little pause)
-Mom, what are you gonna be when you grow up?--I still don't know baby.

And I truly don't know. Sometimes I think it is unreal that I am married, and that I am a mom to 2 amazing boys. That I have a kid that is going to start pre-k and next year he will be in kindergarten! I mean, my oldest one is only 3 1/2 and I am learning so much from him, he is an incredible person, a great brother, so caring and worried about all of us, me his dad, his family. And he always wants to learn, to know stuff. I just feel so blessed to have him. And my little one, he is 2 already and he loves to make me laugh and whenever he sees I am not feeling well he offers me a band-aid. So cute, so loving. Being a mom is nothing like what I signed up for, is way more challenging, every second, I feel like am being tested on something.
I know am going to go back to school, I've been wanting to change careers for a while now. I still haven't decided what I want to study. But it doesn't matter what else I choose to do, I never imagined that my best teachers were going to be less than 4 feet tall and that they would snack on goldfish and juice.

4 comments:

Isabella Kantek said...

Delighful post!
Loved your conversation too. =)

"Maybe you should fly a jet! Maybe you should be a Vet!"

Sarah said...

I think that he would make a fantastic muffin man (or race car driver). Parenting a child and managing a house with kids is so much more exhausting and harder than working at any outside the house job...it should go first on our resumes.

Monica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Isn't it amazing how their minds work? You can almost see the gears shifting as they come up with ideas that aren't tied to our adult practical-minded thoughts about home life, careers, the future. Learning to live in the moment is the best lesson I've learned from being a mom.