Monday, September 17, 2007

Back to Work Blues

I've got the back to work blues. My baby is so little (well actually she's huge) and my son just turned 3 and is so much fun to be with, and here I am going back to work. How can I do this to them? How can I do this to me? Don't get me wrong, I love my job. And the best part is, I get to go back 3 days a week. So I consider myself lucky to have a job I love that is part-time so I can spend time with my kids. Sometimes I feel its the best of both worlds. Sometimes I find myself wishing my husband made more money so I could stay at home full-time. I have so much respect for my friends who are full-time stay at home moms. It takes so much energy, patience, creative thinking. My husband's job is out on long island and every year we talk about moving out there so that he would have a short commute and maybe I could stay home with the kids. I guess now would be the time to do it while they are small, but we love Astoria and love the life we have here, even if its not perfect.

3 comments:

Isabella Kantek said...

Karen,

Although I am on the other side I totally understand your feelings.
Working or staying home (full time or part time) are recurrent issues in motherhood, and I think you've got a nice balance between job and home.
I wish I had a more formal job than simply writing between meals, naps, playtime...
Wisdom is in getting the best of both worlds and I think you are a being wise.

Take care!

Sarah said...

I'm with you! It really is hard! And most difficult is finding that balance between the outside work and the work at home...is there such thing as a balance? Your baby is so sweet! And your big one, too, of course. I hate mama guilt most of all.....

Anonymous said...

Oh Karen, I've been there. It is SO hard. I'm not sure it is possible to strike a balance, but we all try.